Importance Guidelines For Foot Care In Diabetes
The study says that by 2030, India will have the highest number of diabetics. The disease is spreading in India at the same rate as cancer. Problems with blood sugar for a long time can lead to other symptoms. And later it affects other organs as well. There are skin problems, there are also foot problems now. In addition to foot pain, the problem is in the soles of the feet. The feet become heavy and there are problems in stepping on them.
Added to this are various skin diseases on the feet. Wounds are made from there. Which takes a lot of time to fertilize. This problem is seen in 25 percent of diabetic patients. Because we don’t think anyone special about feet. But any infection starts from the soles of the feet.
The most essential organ of our body is the foot. In other words, people without legs paralyzed. So you have to take care of your feet all the time. Especially diabetic patients need to take more care of their feet. You also need to know why and how you will take care of your feet.
Diabetic foot is a diabetic foot vascular complication. This complication can occur in 15% of diabetic patients. Diabetic legs account for 74% of the world’s amputated legs. When a diabetic’s leg is injured, there is a slow growth of small blood vessels, extracellular matrix, skin, etc. As a result, the wound healing process is interrupted and the wound takes a long time to dry. This increases the chances of bacterial infection. In some cases, foul-smelling putrefaction (gangrene) occurs at the wound site. In order to save the life of the patient, many parts of the legs or feet have to be cut off.
Diabetes complications are increasing all over the world. Diabetic patients often suffer from leg cramps.They have a much higher risk of infection, decay or gangrene and amputation than others. The complication that occurs in the legs due to diabetes is called diabetic foot as a whole.
Immunity in diabetic patients is very low. So once the wound does not want to dry. There is no substitute for controlling diabetes in order to heal foot wounds.So be careful before any wound occurs.
What is diabetic neuropathy ?
Patients with diabetes should pay special attention to the feet. It should be done as per the rules of skin care. Disease control from the required rules. Otherwise, diabetes will put a paw on the nerves. Diabetic neuropathy is a condition in which the nerves are weakened and the foot is reduced. In case of diabetes, it is too late to dry any wound. If the heel on his leg is reduced, neglecting the treatment of the wound caused by the cut-rhyme can push him towards surgery due to the size of the excess
Symptoms of foot problems :
Diabetes can cause numbness or tingling in the legs from nerve problems. Many times the ability to move the legs also decreases. Even if you walk, your legs hurt. In some cases, there is pain in the bones of the feet or swelling in some places. One of the symptoms of this disease is sudden redness and swelling of the joints of the affected leg or foot. If the leg is cut or spread in any way, it should be delayed, it should be careful even if you see the infection spreading in a few days. Wounds can also be seen in the grooves of the toes.
The main reasons for making wounds in the legs of diabetic patients are
1. Diabetic neuropathy
2. Low blood circulation and
3. Possibility of bacterial infection.
Diabetic neuropathy is a loss of feeling of pain in the legs or numbness. As a result, the patient does not feel pain even if the leg is injured, as a result, even if the leg is cut or blistered on the leg, he does not understand it. Injuries usually occur in the toes, toes, ankles, and meta-tarso phalangeal joints. Atherosclerotic plaques (fatty or other clots of blood) accumulate in the blood vessels of the diabetic patient, causing the inside of the blood vessels to constrict and blood flow to be disrupted. As a result, nutrients and antibiotics in the blood do not reach the wound site in sufficient quantity. Eventually there is a bacterial infection, which can lead to gangrene in the legs.
Why and what is the risk ?
- Diabetes reduces the body’s resistance to disease. The result is easy bacterial infection. Foot is no exception.
- When blood sugar is out of control, the medium and small blood vessels of the body change, narrow and blood circulation is disrupted. This results in reduced blood flow to the legs which accelerates sores or digestion.
- Diabetes damages the nerves in the legs and reduces the feeling. As a result, the legs become fragile and are repeatedly injured.As a result, the diabetic’s feet are at serious risk of infection, easily infected, sore or decomposed, and not easily healed. This complication is exacerbated if there is already a history of other complications in the foot, such as crooked bones, old wounds.
What to do if the legs wonds ?
1. In the first case, wash the wound with saline and cover the area with a sterile yard
2. It is better to move a little less until the wound is dry
3. If necessary, take antibiotics as advised by the doctor
4. Large wounds may require wearing special types of diabetic shoes
5. If the wound does not dry out, if the foot is swollen, if the toes or nails change color, if the foot is colder or hotter than normal, it is a sign of danger.
6. Do not wear socks until the wound is dry.
7. There is no need to go out much.
8. Even when you go out, wear comfortable foot-covered shoes so that the dust and sand from outside do not get directly on you.
9. Keep an eye on whether the feet are swollen or the color of the nails is changing.
10. Go to a podiatrist for a foot check up once a year.
How to clean feet :
The feet should be washed regularly, it will keep the skin of the feet smooth. It is important to clean your feet well as soon as you return home. If possible, soak your feet in warm water. Mix liquid soap, body washer or shampoo in water before dipping the feet. After 20 minutes, rinse your feet in normal temperature water. Soaking the feet in a little hot water can easily clean the dirt and reduce the dryness of the feet.
If this is not possible, mix liquid soap, body washer or shampoo in normal temperature water and rub it well to remove foot dirt. You can clean your nails with liquid soap on the pedicure set brush.
If you have nail polish, it is better to remove it for two consecutive days.
Before going to bed at night, after finishing all the work, sit on the bed and apply more oil or petroleum jelly on your feet. Then do not get down before going to sleep. Both oil and petroleum jelly are beneficial. However, the oil is a little thin in nature and does not last long. Petroleum jelly lasts longer. The feeling of the feet in the morning will be fresh, especially in the ankles.
Daily foot care :
Apply moisturizer on the feet before going out. Many people do not want to use petroleum jelly before going out, as it can easily get dirty. This habit is not right at all. It is easier to clean if the dust does not get directly on the skin and sticks to the surface of the petroleum jelly. You can use sunscreen on the skin of the feet if you wish before going out in the sun. There is no harm in not doing it again. If you have time, wash your feet somewhere outside. You can also use wet tissue if you want. If you think you will get a chance to wash your feet, it is better to go out after shoes that are wet but there is no problem.
If the skin of the feet is very sensitive, it is better to wear foot-covered shoes.
Healthy Foot care habits :
Let’s find out how to take care of feet for diabetics patients :
1. Diabetic patients should take good care of the wound immediately if they have cut or injured any part of the leg due to walking outside or indoors for any reason. Because, diabetic patients do not want to heal easily if they are cut somewhere.
2. Diabetics should never walk barefoot. Because diabetes is a hormonal disorder. And this disease gradually damages the nerve cells severely. As a result, the ability to feel may be reduced. And because of this, many diabetics do not realize that their legs have been amputated.
3. Patients with diabetes should wear shoes according to the correct size of the feet. If the shoe is smaller than the size of the foot, walking on the ankle of your foot can cause blisters. And it can cause different types of wounds. As mentioned earlier, diabetics do not want to heal easily if they are cut or injured.
4. The feet should be washed thoroughly in lukewarm water before going to bed at night. Then wipe the feet well with a soft cloth.
5. Regular leg exercises should be done. If you do regular leg exercises and walk, the blood circulation in the legs will be normal and the nerve cells will work properly.
6. If someone’s feet are more dry, you can apply olive oil.
7. When cutting nails, make sure that the corners of the nails are not cut too much.
8. Before wearing shoes, make sure that there are alpin or something else inside or outside the shoes.
9. When buying shoes, do not buy high heels and tight shoes.
10. Keep feet away from heated items such as hot water bags etc.
11. Avoid smoking and consult a doctor immediately if there is any problem.
Don’t do these :
People with diabetes should never walk barefoot at home. Read comfortable slippers. Bathroom slippers, house slippers are usually different. Follow those rules. Do not wear shoes without socks when going out. It is better to wear non-stitches socks, as there is no risk of dirt accumulating in the seam. If the toenail grows a little, it should be cut off. Use nail polish that is tolerant to the skin. If the corners of the nails get into the skin, do not do anything yourself or go to the parlor, but consult a podiatrist. Diabetic patients should also be very careful about doing pedicure.
Avoid pedicures :
It is not possible for you to know what kind of equipment is used in the parlor. It is not possible to know exactly whether the staff of the parlor knows the exact rules of caring for diabetic feet or whether they have the necessary training. So it is best to avoid pedicure. If you are not aware of dipping your feet in hot water or rubbing them with jhama during pedicure, there may be danger of cutting and scattering. When cutting hard or dead skin, care must be taken to ensure that the scissors are properly sterilized. Cut the whole nail evenly. Instead, insert a pair of thin scissors and cut the corners of the nail to shape it, but infection can occur.
Buy Diabetic shoes :
The inner sole is 8–10 mm thicker than ordinary shoes. So the pressure of the whole body gets a chance to spread through the soles of the feet. This reduces the chance of injury at the pressure point. Don’t buy toe shoes that have toes together when buying shoes. This will increase the risk of sweating. The heel counter of the shoe should be stiff and high. Buy shoes that are not difficult to wear even after dressing the feet. If you have swollen feet, it is better to buy shoes that can be loosened.